Date of Birth:
21 November 1956
When did you start skiing?
Claim to fame?
Being based in Chamonix since 1977, when literally 'only a handful of skiers were savoring the goods!'.
Some of Mark's past experiences include:
- Ski Patrol member in Switzerland, at Les Diablerets Glacier, working extensively on avalanche forecasting, stabilization, victim search, rescue and extraction.
- Stunt skier with Warren Miller, Dick Barrymore, and Disney world film productions.
A few of his achievements:
- World record holder for vertical endurance skiing
- 10th in the world speed skiing production class
- Professional product tester/technical advisor
His qualifications include:
- Level IV Senior Examiner Canadian Ski Instructors Alliance
- Level IV Senior Examiner Canadian Ski Coaches Federation
- Level III Instructor Canadian Association of Nordic Ski Instructors
- FFS National Ski Instructor Premier Degree France
- Member of the International Ski Instructor Alliance
- Level III Canadian Avalanche Association Certificate
- Canadian Avalanche Course Conductor
- Swiss Certified Ski Patrol
- Swiss Avalanche Search & Rescue Certificate
- UIAGM/IFMGA/IVBV International Mountain Guide Course Conductor
- British Mountain Guide Association Course Conductor
- International Heli Ski Guide: Canada, Chile, Switzerland, Austria, & Italy
What’s your style?
"I'm a high speed cruiser and fast technical skier at heart, but my best skiing is done in deep powder. I ski all conditions and do a considerable amount of touring in the right season. Big air on the right jump/landing set ups are still occasional thrillers too (but always uprights and basically old school)..! Big engines and running the jets a little HOT..!"
What’s cool to you about skiing?
"I think the coolest thing for me in skiing is the mode of transportation skis afford us. The absolute freedom, high in the mountains, in a winter environment is totally unique and truly an exceptional experience."
What freaks you out?
"A couple things really freak me out skiing. Skiing through heavily crevassed areas with very poor coverage or after long periods of dry conditions where the bridges are in poor shape and starting to fail... you see holes left, right, and center,...that too is nerve wracking. Also, sitting on small old chairlifts with a big pack and no safety bar... When I'm very high off the ground, there are a few lifts that really get to me once I'm half way up.... YIKES!"
Who’s your hero?
"There are so many wonderful shining examples of good people delivering exemplary gifts to the rest of us... It's impossible to single out only one mortal being."
What are your other hobbies?
"I like to sail my Olympic class Tornado Catamaran in big swells and high winds, ride my road bike through the mountains, fish for 'Big Gus' - the elusive trout, and hike far into the deep wilderness of the Canadian Rockies with my wife..."
Who’s on your iPod?
Santana & Joe Santriani
"Because I demand the best!!
Best in fit, best in function, best in comfort. my first test ride in a pair of DaleBoots was at 114 mph (182 KMph), while training for an international speed skiing competition. They are very laterally responsive and allowed me to achieve a very flat ski while maintaining a very relaxed ankle. They are an incredibly sensative boot, allowing for a sensative, effortless touch on my edges.
When I set my World Record for vertical feet skied in a day in 1993, they proved to be a very relaxing boot to ski for long hours at high speeds over unprepared slopes. I love the way they're so easy and comfortable to actually put on. I love the way I never have to adjust them once I put them on (even when working with clients long into the evenings, after big days). They're the most relaxing boot to drive a ski that's available on the market today.
While they are a little different in sensation than most top loading, overlap ski boot designs, once you learn how to actually stand up in the ski boot and ski with your feet, as opposed to just leaning on a stiff, inflexible, semi-ridge boot, they become the best piece of ski equipment to make you a master skier.
As a matter of fact, all the people I have encouraged to ski DaleBoots over the years have the same, very satisfied, brand loyalty relationship with their DaleBoots..!
|2660 South 300 West
Salt Lake City, Utah 84115
|DaleBoot||Josef Pirchl Str.10